Having mood swings? Having painful or irregular periods? Fatigued? Feeling low or really stressed? These are all signs that your hormones may be out of balance.
What are Hormones?
Hormones are the body's chemical messengers. They travel through the bloodstream to tissues and organs. Understanding the major hormones and their role in the body, can help you take control of your health.
Types of Hormones
- Estrogen, which is the main female sex hormone. It causes puberty, prepares the body for pregnancy and regulates the menstrual cycle. Estrogen levels decrease at menopause, causing a variety of symptoms in a woman's body.
- Progesterone also plays a role in a woman's menstrual cycle and pregnancy, preparing the endometrium for a potential pregnancy after ovulation.
- Cortisol is best known for its contribution to the body's response to stress.
- Thyroid hormone sets our metabolic rate and contributes to energy levels, manages our weight, provides us with warmth, and is involved in digestive health as well as hair and skin health.
- Testosterone is the main sex hormone in men. It is involved in puberty, maintains bone density, muscle mass and strength.
When hormones are properly in balance they help the body to thrive and work together. When the body experiences even subtle hormone imbalances, this can contribute to profound discomfort and unwanted symptoms.
How Can Seeing a Naturopath Help?
A Naturopath can help identify whether you have a hormonal imbalance and what steps you need to take to optimize your hormone health. A Naturopath listens to your concerns in detail and often recommends hormone testing to diagnose hormonal issues. Hormone balancing treatments focus on:
- Improving sleep
- Managing stress
- Regulating menstrual cycles
- Using bio-identical hormones if needed. For example. prescribing thyroid medication (T4 and/or T3) in hypothyroidism, progesterone for very heavy menstrual cycles common in perimenopause or PCOS, and estrogen and/or progesterone in menopause.
- Providing herbal medicines which balance hormone levels
- Balancing blood sugar levels through a healthy diet
- Including foods in your diet which provide nutrients for hormone production and breakdown
- Recommending vitamins and minerals which support hormone production and breakdown
To book an appointment with a naturopath at Juniper Family Health please contact the clinic at 778-265-8340 or firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to book online.